Past Ministers

Castle Hey Chapel

It was the Minister Samuel Angier who registered a new place of worship in the township of Liverpool in 1689. Samuel Angier was the Minister of Ancient Chapel of Toxteth. A new act was formed for the support of non-conformist religions. It was the beginning of religious diversity. There is no image of Castle Hey Chapel, only a plaque where is stood, on the corner of Castle Street and Harrington Street. The congregation at this point were Calvinists.

Castle Hey Chapel
...
Christopher Richardson with Samuel-Angier

1687 - 1698

RH
Richard Holt

1698 - 1717

...
Henry Winder

1718 - 1727


Benn's Garden Chapel

The congregation moved in 1727. The land was owned by James Benn, Mayor of Liverpool in 1697. It was the Rev. Henry Winder who inspired the congregation to revert to Unitarianism. Before they moved to Renshaw Street Chapel that were all converted.

Benn's Garden Chapel
...
Henry Winder

1727 - 1746

HW
Henry Winder with John Henderson

1746 - 1752

JH
John Henderson

1752 - 1763

...
William Enfield

1763 - 1770

RL
Robert Lewin

1770 - 1776

RL
Robert Lewin with Nicholas Clayton

1776 - 1781

RL
Robert Lewin with Joseph Smith

1781 - 1801

RL
Robert Lewin

1801 - 1811


Renshaw Street Chapel

Renshaw Street Unitarian Chapel was a Unitarian place of worship in Mount Pleasant, Liverpool, England. It operated from 1811 until the 1890s and was particularly well frequented by ship-owning and mercantile families, who formed a close network of familial and business alliances.

B.G.Orchard, a biographer, wrote of the Renshaw Street Congregation:

"…no group of men has so manifested fat-sighted appreciation of great questions affecting social wellbeing of the town or worked with more dogged ardour to promote national education,, public parks, free libraries and museums … At present Renshaw Street Chapel is probably the great political force in our midst"

Renshaw Street Chapel
RL
Robert Lewin

1811 - 1816

...
George Harris

1817 - 1822

...
William Hincks

1822 - 1827

JH
John Hincks

1827 - 1831

...
John Hamilton Thom

1831 - 1854

...
William Henry Channing

1854 - 1857

...
John Hamilton Thom

1857 - 1866

...
Charles Beard

1867 - 1888

...
Lawrence Pearsall Jacks

1888 - 1894

...
L.L.M Baynard de Beaumont Klein

1895 - 1899


Ullet Road Church

Ullet Road Church is a grade 1 listed building, designed by Thomas and Percy Worthington. It is a beautiful building with Edward Burne-Jones Stain Glass Windows, a stunning Library, cloisters, and church hall. The building was built as a Statement with a bold statement stating our Unitarian theologu in the Chancel “To Us There Is One God The Father” (1st Corinthians 8:6)

Ullet Road Church
...
L.L.M Baynard de Beaumont Klein

1899 - 1903

...
John Collins Odgers

1904 - 1917

...
Lawrence Redfern

1918 - 1950

...
Eric Shirvell Price

1950 - 1957

...
Edward Basil Short

1958 - 1968

...
Andrew McKean Hill

1969 - 1974

...
Graham James Murphy

1975 - 1989

...
Jeffrey Lane Gould

1989 - 1999

...
Christopher Goacher

2000 - 2004

...
Dom Beaudreault

2006 - 2006

...
Angela Howard*

2009 - 2014

...
Philip Michael Waldron

2015 -


*(Lay Person in Charge)